Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Catching Up

Ok - I know it's been a long time since I last posted so I'll try to catch up a little.

Sarah's home for the summer. She absolutely loved her 1st year in college. St. Mary's was a perfect match for her. She was a member SMUT (St. Mary's Ultimate Frisby Team), Helped extensively with the threater department and participated in the Orchestra as well as many other campus clubs. She's really matured into a very independent, responsible adult. She's working for Borders, she's one of the techs for the TJ marching band, and tutoring a middle school student this summer to keep busy and earn some spending money. It's kind of funny though, I'm starting to remember how it was to be out of my parent's house for a while and then move back in and having to respect my parents rules. Only this time I'm the parent. We're not having any big issues, but even though she's 19 and technically an adult, I still like to have an idea of where she is and when she'll be home and I don't think she quite feels that it's necessary all the time. She said to me one night, "what do you do when I'm at school?", and I told her, "in my mind when your at school, you're in bed every night by 10" LOL. I'm really thankful for cell phones. Most of the time I can get in touch with her if I need to. But then again the flip side to that is when she doesn't respond to the cell phone then I worry even more! Oh my :(

Jenny's been busy scoping out colleges. Her SAT scores as well as her HS grades are very good so I don't think she'll have a problem getting into most any college that she chooses. We visited Penn State and Virgina Tech last week and she was impressed with both. Her main interest at this point seems to be engineering. I think she's leaning towards Penn State as her first choice at this point. The school spirit in the community as well as the school itself is amazing. Jenny would probably try out to be part of the well known "Blue Band" at Penn State and I can't even imagine the memories that would be created from such an experience if she were to make it. In between college visits and Marching Band rehearsals she's continuing to work for 5 Guys on the creek. She had her senior pictures taken last week. She looked beautiful! Wow - It's so hard to believe that she'll be a senior in the fall.

Sam will be entering the 8th grade in the fall but for now he's just enjoying the summer. He and a friend, Danny, are pretty much joined at the hip lately. They've gone swimming almost every day when the weather is good. He played baseball again this past spring season and his team did very well. Sam was the lead off batter for the team and he even managed to hit a home run this season. There were several close games where Sam was instrumental in getting a hit and creating the go ahead run. For those of you that haven't seen Sam lately I think you'll be very surprised. He grew 3 inches and put on 6 lbs this past year ... and his voice is unbelievably low. He'll be starting football the end of July, another sport that he really enjoys. Scott played football back in the day so I think he's thrilled that Sam likes to play as well. Of course the parent in me is very concerned about injuries but I guess in the whole scheme of things the injuries are few and far between, hopefully.

No comments: